Everyday ways to help
There are huge opportunities to contribute building a Blue Marine Economy of Bangladesh for any citizen.
Marine Biodiversity/ Ecosystem/ Ecological balance related any anomalies or development issues would be appreciated cordially and highlighted by Save Our Sea (SOS).
By this backdrop, SOS is committed to help any student from environmental science, researcher or any conservationist for meeting their needs.
SOS welcomes applications throughout the year for the position of volunteers to assist in the implementation of SOS Knowledge Management and Communications (KMC) Strategy. The opportunity is open for Bangladeshi nationals as well as foreign citizens.
Save Our Sea (SOS) is committed in building a blue marine economy for Bangladesh by exploring, documenting and efficiently managing biological diversity and marine ecosystem of Bay of Bengal. SOS is a no- profit organization run by creative people devoted to protect marine ecosystem.
To conserve our marine ecosystem, community-led research, education, campaign and conservation process are the main building blocks of our actions. We are running continuous fighting against marine debris engaging coastal youth in regular underwater cleanup and perennial awareness campaign. We’ve started working on a plan for ecosystem survey in the Bay of Bengal. We explore the marine habitats, document the situation and take steps to conserve. We are running explorations in various parts of the Bay of Bengal and producing visual contents to distribute in public.
SOS has begun to implement the ecosystem boundary survey of Saint Martin’s Coral Colonies from 1st of January, 2012.
Knowledge Management and Communications (KMC)
It is one of the crosscutting areas of SOS works. With a view to complement and assist delivery of the Programme objectives, SOS has set following four KMC objectives:
- Establish SOS as a leader in sustainable marine and coastal ecosystem practices, within its defined geographic and thematic priority areas;
- Secure additional funding and investment in SOS activities;
- Document, share, and promote results from SOS projects for transfer and replication; and
- Build an active network of organizations and individuals to implement the SOS objectives.
However, each knowledge management and communication activity is expected to have its own purpose, target audience/s and objective defined in line with these aims.
Tasks of the Volunteer
The overall task of the interns is to assist the SOS Conservation Team to update and implement the SOS KMC strategy.
Specific responsibilities are to assist in:
- Creating a database organizations and personnel important for SOS implementation in Bangladesh
- Update the SOS KMC strategy
- Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation of SOS projects and activities.
- Writing stories, press release and media advisory.
- Arranging meetings, consultation and workshops and document the outcomes.
- Undertake other relevant tasks that may be assigned from time to time.
- Good command over English (written and verbal)
- Impressive Inter Personal Skills and communications ability
- Good Analytical Ability
- A strong commitment to SOS’s vision and mission
- Understanding of the marine and coastal ecosystem and community context of Bangladesh.
- Ability to work in Dhaka, Chittagong and Saint Martin’s office and in the field sites if necessary.
- a) Creative writing ability
- b) Ability to capture stories of change
- c) Documentation and brand promotion skills
- d) Education in any of the following disciplines will be preferable: Disciplines from Ocean, Earth and Biological Sciences, Mass-communications and Journalism, English, Development Studies, Sociology, Anthropology or other social sciences.
The volunteer will be provided allowance to cover incurred expenses but not any remuneration. S/he will be responsible for other personal expenses including accommodation, food, health and insurance.
Eligible candidates are requested to e-mail a Application Letter describing why you are interested to join us and how you can help the cause of Marine Conservation with a copy of Curriculum Vitae.
Email us your application and CV at email@example.com